.
...
LaPorteCountyLife default share image
valpolife logo portagelife logo nwindianalife logo Share good news

NIPSCO Reminds Customers of Carbon Monoxide Dangers


Furnace inspections and carbon monoxide detectors help keep homes safe and warm

community

As temperatures begin to dip, NIPSCO reminds customers of the importance of maintaining a safe home heating system.

An annual inspection is essential for every home’s furnace to ensure that it is working efficiently and to help protect dwellers from safety concerns, such as carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless, tasteless, non-corrosive gas and a by-product of the combustion of fuels such as coal, wood, charcoal, natural gas and fuel oil. It can be emitted by furnaces, space heaters, stoves fireplaces, water heaters and automobile exhaust. Carbon monoxide can be poisonous if allowed to accumulate in enclosed spaces.

The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are flu-like, including headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain and confusion. At high levels, it can cause loss of consciousness and death. If you think you are suffering from CO poisoning, you should get fresh air immediately and call 911.

Take action to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Install a battery-operated CO detector in your home, making sure it’s clear of furniture or draperies. Test the battery regularly.
  • Do not use ovens, gas ranges or grills to heat your home.
  • Never use a generator inside your home, basement, garage or other enclosed or partially enclosed area.
  • Never leave a car or lawn mower engine running in a shed, garage or in any enclosed space.

For more important safety tips, visit www.NIPSCO.com/StaySafe

 

NIPSCO
801 E 86th Ave
Merrillville, IN 46410
1 - 800 - 464 - 7726
Visit NIPSCO's Website
Visit us on Facebook Visit us on Twitter

Copyright © 2017 Ideas in Motion Media