The Northwestern Indiana Science and Engineering Fair is embarking on its 64th year. Valparaiso University is proud to be host for the 11th consecutive year. Students from Porter, Lake, LaPorte, Starke, Jasper, Newton, and Pulaski counties compete in this regional fair as individuals or in teams. The Fair takes place in March and is a one-day event complete with lunch for all participants and an awards ceremony.
The top senior division (high school) winners, the senior division team project winner, and the top junior division (middle school) winners will receive invitations to compete in the Hoosier Science and Engineering Fair taking place on April 1, 2017 at IUPUI in Indianapolis sponsored by the Science Education Foundation of Indiana (SEFI).
In addition, the senior division finalists and their faculty sponsors will qualify for all-expenses-paid trips to the International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF). Sponsored by Intel, the ISEF will be held in Los Angeles, CA. this year, May 14–19.
Barker Middle School Competitors:
- Canyon Richardson, 7th grade, “How Do You Fuel?”
- Arnica Sheaffer, 7th grade, “Total Recall”
- Riley Steinhiser, 7th grade, “Blast Off”
- Nathan Antisdel, 8th grade, “Dirty Electricity”
Michigan City High School Competitors:
- Nicole Pomeroy, 12th grade, “Output Efficiency of an Electrical Generator”
- Emily Samuelson, 10th grade, & Andrew Samuelson, 12th grade, “ How Do Carbon Dioxide Levels in Exhaled Air Change Before and After Physical Exercise?”
Junior Division Physical Science, Mathematics, and Computer Science
- US Navy/US Marine Corps Award for Outstanding Project, Canyon Richardson
Junior Division Biological and Life Sciences
- US Air Force Award for Outstanding Project, Nathan Antisdel
- Honorable Mention, Nathan Antisdel
- Most Promising Young Scholar Award, Arnica Sheaffer
- 3rd Place, Arnica Sheaffer
Senior Division Physical Science, Mathematics, and Computer Science
- ASU Walton Sustainability Solutions Initiatives Award, Nicole Pomeroy
- Instrumentation & Automation Technology Award, Nicole Pomeroy
- 3rd Place, Nicole Pomeroy
- Advances to the Hoosier Science & Engineering Fair at IUPUI in Indianapolis Saturday, April 1, 2017 - This is Nicole’s 7th year in a row competing at the state level!
For more information visit: http://www.valpo.edu/nwisef/