At the June 19, 2018 Michigan City Common Council meeting, a former City of Michigan City employee made false accusations and statements claiming that the Mayor’s political campaign fund has been the beneficiary of the proceeds from his golf outings and Mayoral Ball’s.
In Ron Meer’s tenure as Mayor, which is now in year seven, there have been (5) Golf Outings and (3) Mayoral Ball’s and none of the money raised by these events has ever gone into the Mayor’s political campaign fund. The truth is, the proceeds from these (8) events, which total $176,341.36, have gone to help many local organizations and non-for-profits. Below is a breakdown of each event, the year it was held, the beneficiary and the amount of money each beneficiary received.
- 2014 - Public Art Committee ($15,900) and Commission on the Social Status of African-American Males ($15,900)
- 2015 - North Central Community Action Agency ($20,790) and Commission on Women ($20,790)
- 2017 - Michigan City Promise Scholarship ($46,181.84)
- 2013 - Essence Rare ($9,183.77)
- 2014 - Michigan City Area Schools ($12,492.79)
- 2015 - Commission on the Social Status of African-American Males ($5,940) and Michigan City Police Youth Leadership Academy ($5,940)
- 2016 - Young People’s Theatre ($6,335) and Michigan City Mainstreet Preservation & Education Foundation ($6,335)
- 2017 - Soul Steppers Drill Team ($5,276.48) and the Michigan City High School Athletic Department ($5,276.48)
Mayor Ron Meer will host his 6th annual golf outing on Friday, September 14th at Michigan City Municipal Golf Course. This year’s proceeds will benefit the Michigan City Zoological Society and Homeward Bound. Those interested in sponsorship opportunities can contact the Mayor’s Office at: 219-873-1400 Ext. 8, for more information.
115 Lake Shore Dr Michigan City, Indiana 46360
Visit Michigan City Partner Profile